Tipperary Dance Platform – TDP
TDP – Tipperary Dance Platform is a cutting edge international contemporary dance festival dedicated to be a festive event for the community and a celebration for dance in County Tipperary.
The Platform also creates resources for professional companies and dancers from Ireland and abroad. TDP stages work made by Irish-based artists, and introduces works from Artists from other countries who, in most cases, perform in Ireland for the first time.
Besides providing a touring venue for established companies, TDP is also a performance space for artists who are hosted during the year as part of Tipperary Dance Residency schemes such as TRY! residencies, TDP LABoratory, and production residencies (see pro resources).
Apart from delivering high quality contemporary Art, the festival involves the local community by inviting adults and children to take part in dance classes taught by international artists, all included in a very low price package. Young people under 18 years old attend all events and classes for free at TDP.
Tipperary Dance Residency
Initiated in 2008, TDR – Tipperary Dance Residency – is based on a partnership between the Tipperary County Council Arts Service, Tipperary Excel Arts Centre, and two dancers: Jazmin Chiodi & Alexandre Iseli. Aiming to build a long-term and comprehensive program for the development of dance, the Resident artists structured the Residency around three objectives:
- Generating a dance culture in the County Tipperary.
- Providing resources for professional dance in regional Ireland.
- Providing artistic resources for the resident artists.
Through a successful collaboration with the local and national authorities, and collaborating internationally with resource centres, venues and artists, the Residency formalized and delivers an on-going range of schemes and activities, including (but not exclusively):
- With the Dance In Schools Scheme, and the Dance Group, more than 800 children received dance workshops in their schools or at the Excel Centre.
- All Day Do Dance is a very successful programme offering one-day events of free dance classes for the community.
- TRY! is a scheme dedicated to offer creative research residencies to emerging dance artists, along with mentoring by the TDR’s resident Artists.
- Iseli-Chiodi Dance Company was born with the support of TDR, and benefits from its infrastructures to provide a context for choreographic research and creation. The company has toured internationally, in Ireland, Korea, USA, Mexico and Venezuela.
- TDP – Tipperary Dance Platform blooms at the crossroad of all these activities: it is the festive international event where professionals and community meet to discover dance pieces and practice dance with renown artists.
- TDP’12 Laboratory is the first edition of a mentored practice dedicated to challenge young professional or pre-professional dancers with international-class artists, to broaden their artistic skills and technical language.